A pirate or romantic ship in a bottle surrounded by fish is a wonderful souvenir that impresses and fascinates at the same time. A sailing-ship in the bottle seems to get on the modern shelf from the pages of the adventure novel about sea robbers. So, how are the ship models the bottles made? Read in the article.
Old ship from book stories
The inventor of the «bottle» ships was an ordinary school teacher, Harry Eng. He was full of ideas and figured out how to make unique souvenirs. He created lots of similar crafts not only with sailing-ships in them. Not only ship but books, tennis and baseball balls, padlocks of unusual shape were put there.
When buyers see such souvenirs on the shop windows nowadays they wonder how to put a ship into a bottle. Some of them are sure that bottles are cut and then glued again. And they are very surprised to see no traces of glue. The secret is rather simple. And a person, who loves to do something with their own hands, won’t have any difficulties to create such a souvenir. It’s an interesting and a creative activity, the most important thing is to understand how to put a ship into a bottle.
There are several ways to put a ship into a bottle. Let’s consider the most popular ones.
The first variant is rather simple.
The materials you need are:
- glass or plastic bottle with a wide neck;
- folding sailboat model;
- thread, hinge;
- decorative cover or cork
You can buy the ship at the shop (you need to choose a model with removable parts) or make it yourself. The most important thing is the flexibility of the mast which you can bend to different sides. Thus, the hinge is attached to its bottom and rigging threads are attached to it. When in a folded position, the ship can easily pass through the neck of the bottle. All the stages of work are shown in the picture.
- First you need to install the base to which the boat is attached. Then place the vessel neatly inside the vessel and gently pull the threads to straighten the mast.
- When the ship is in the right position, you need to cut the threads. You only have to close the bottle with the plug.
A simple way to manufacture a souvenir. There’s another way to make a ship in a bottle. In this case it doesn’t have a flexible mast and it’s integral.
- Plastic bottle is used, the tip is carefully trimmed. Now you can use it and put any subject into it.
- You need to attach a stand to the bottom of the bottle with hot glue. From above, its base is also smeared with glue and the ship is fixed there. The inner parts of the bottle and the space around the ship can be decorated with artificial algae, figures of fish, gulls, you can place there a mermaid or a starfish.
- You need to put back the part you cut with the help of hot glue. Some people use scotch tape. You can use small shells, kelp and sand to hide the seam. The final touch will be the original cork or a folded piece of paper in the form of a note.
Men – the inventors of the ship in the bottle
Many people are fond of collecting such crafts. Some want to get them as a present and some have understood how to put them into the bottle and create such souvenirs themselves. Moreover, they put planes, cars, trains instead of ship into the bottle. The skill and special tools help greatly while working.
Every year, similar souvenirs become more and more beautiful and more complex. The ways to make them become more perfect, the new models appear. Some craftsmen know how to put a ship into the bottle piece by piece. They manufacture it directly in the bottle with the help of long tweezers and magnets. This is one of the most difficult ways but the real master manages to do it. A wonderful souvenir is an excellent idea for a gift. It is used for the decoration of the house to create an atmosphere of mysterious adventures to distant countries and romantic sea stories.