Salty dough is a wonderful, soft and cheap material for children’s creativity. Actions to perform crafts resemble modeling of clay. Only after drying the work is stored for a long time and becomes solid. Start to do crafts can be already with younger preschool age.
Salt dough recipe
If you have come up with what to sculpt from salty dough, the first thing you need to knead a soft and pliable mixture. Main ingredients: fine table salt, white wheat flour and water.
Prepare a large bowl and mix 2 cups white flour and half a serving of fine salt. Then pour half a glass of cold water into a homogeneous mixture and mix thoroughly. To make the material more elastic, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil or baby hand cream to the kneading.
Ideas of toys:
- Snowman for the little ones;
- Easter eggs;
- Decorative suspensions;
- Various animals (owls, squirrels, dogs, hedgehogs);
- Representatives of different professions (astronauts, builders, doctors).
Set to play in store
When the dough is cooked, you can start to create. What to make of salty dough with a child? Of course, you need to start with the simplest things. For example, to sculpt vegetables and fruits to play in the store.
Prepare the following ingredients:
- plastic stack for drawing small parts and cutting off excess dough;
- small rolling pin;
- a ballpoint pen to press in the holes;
- the tablet for sculpting;
- water tank;
- knife for adult.
Sculpt from salt dough toys in the same way that you would with regular clay. Use the techniques of rolling and crushing, pulling and plucking, flattening in the palms or between the fingers. All of them are necessary for the development of the child’s motor skills.
Methods of modeling toys
Before you start, you need to consider not only what to sculpt from salty dough, but also what method of work to choose. Consider all known options:
- Constructive – the object is made up of individual parts, which are then connected into a single structure.
- Plastic – work of one piece of material, small parts are made by pulling.
- Combo – stretching of individual parts of the common layer, and attaching some elements of the impaction and grinding.
Attention: if you are going to work with salt dough, check the child’s hands for cracks and scratches. Since the composition of the mixture includes fine salt, when it enters the wound, it causes painful burning. Try it on and create wonderful toys for your pleasure!